Amazing Birthday Colour Block Birthday Card

by Joanne James29. March 2016 08:00

It's Tuesday and whatever the weather outside, today I have a colourful card for you! As promised yesterday, it's another one using this week's inspiration photo over at Just Add Ink, paired this time with the sketch challenge over at CAS Colours and Sketches:

JAI #304...Inspiration

Having fathomed out my punch art umbrella for yesterday's card (if you missed it you can see that card here) I had originally contemplated a quintet of umbrellas for today's card. Needless to say, it ended up looking a rather jumbled mess, not at all the vision of CAS beauty I had in mind, so I went back to basics and instead created this altogether simpler card:

A white birthday card that really allows those umbrella colours to pop - read on for the low-down on today's card:

Whiter than white - Whilst I did promise colour today, it's the large expanses of white that preserve the clean lines of today's card. Stampin' Up!'s extra thick white cardstock is perfect for card bases and the white-on-white layering here creates a modern, almost graphic feel. Splitting the top layer and popping it up on dimensionals creates a great recess to highlight the feature colours too.

Blocks of colour - I used the colours of the inspiration photo to create bold blocks of colour and interpreted the sketch quite literally to support my clean design. I simply cut 5 pieces of cardstock of equal height and positioned them next to each other down the front of my card, cutting them slightly wider than my recess so that their edges were concealed.

Multi-coloured sentiment - When choosing my sentiment, I remembered this stamp from the 'Amazing Birthday' stamp set. I coloured the horizontal lines of the sentiment with my Stampin' Write Markers to echo the pattern of my recessed blocks of colour then 'huffed' on my stamp to moisten it before stamping. The slightly wonky 'happy's' of the sentiment add a fun touch of whimsy to my otherwise perfectly aligned, sharp design.

Here is the visual summary of the key supplies used on today's card for you to pin for easy future reference:

I hope you like today's clean and simple unisex birthday card - it really is so easy to re-create, would work in lots of colourways and requires next to no supplies! A great way to use up lots of scraps of cardstock left over from other projects too.

I am doubly happy that I managed to make it to link up with the lovely ladies over at CAS Colours and Sketches this week; these ladies are a lovely bunch with great talent and for this last month they have also been featuring one of my Stampin' Up! team, the lovely Gail Townsend from Gail's Place as their Guest Designer. You can see Gail's card here and those of the rest of the Design Team on the main CAS Colours and Sketches challenge page. Do pop by and give them a visit - I'm sure they would love to hear from you as we all like a little blog lovin' from time to time :-).

That's all from me today; back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

29/03/2016 14:13:43 #

I love the color blocking!  It looks amazing!  XX

Chantell Randall
Chantell RandallAustralia
29/03/2016 15:11:57 #

I really like how you have matched the colours on you panel with the sentiment.  Very cute sentiment wording.  Chantell JAI

karen h
karen hUnited States
30/03/2016 02:57:21 #

Fun card - love the way you did the sentiment! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!

Jan M
Jan MAustralia
30/03/2016 10:49:12 #

This is fantastic Joanne! I love the effect of your colour blocking and how you've matched the blocks with your sentiment - so clever! Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week Smile

Nikki Spencer
Nikki SpencerAustralia
30/03/2016 10:50:10 #

Fab clean card, love the inverted panel...great use of the Just Add Ink inspiration. Thanks for joining us this week.

Kim Badelt
Kim BadeltAustralia
30/03/2016 11:36:23 #

Another great CAS card Joanne! I really like how you paired up the border of colour blocks with the sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink again this week.

Beverley
BeverleyUnited Kingdom
30/03/2016 13:01:15 #

Love how you have interpreted the sketch and a CAS beauty. Thanks for playing along at CC&S this week. Hugs Bev x

Jane
JaneUnited Kingdom
30/03/2016 22:39:25 #

Love the double element interpretation of the sketch's five blocks. So clever. Thanks for playing at CC&S.

Caro Thomas
Caro ThomasUnited Kingdom
31/03/2016 18:15:28 #

Oh, now that is clever and so effective.  I love how you've mirrored the sketch in your sentiment, it's brilliant!  And a wonderful CAS card.  Thanks for joining us again at CC&S. Caro x

Earn this fabulous festive stamp set for FREE when you host a party with qualifying sales between 1 September and 31 October. Find out more here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2017 Autumn-Winter Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 1 September 2017 - 2 January 2018.

Current September hostess code:

KJ9FSDMS

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.