Mondrian-Inspired Colourblock Congratulations Card

by Joanne James14. August 2016 10:00

It's Sunday and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's my dear friend Claire's turn to host this week and she has a great palette of primary colours for you to work with:

AYSIChallenge140

These colours are perfect for a back to school project. I actually used these colours for a quick card that I made for this week's sketch challenge over at the As You See It Challenge earlier this week but couldn't link it up as their site is down, so I thought I would instead share it today (edited to add: subsequently back on line now so I've linked):

There is so much you could do with the AYSI sketch, but I found myself constantly returning to the idea that it had all the makings of a Mondrian painting - so I decided to create a clean and simple card in that style. Here's the low-down on today's card:

Mondrian Blocks of Colour - Piet Mondrian is a Dutch painter famous for his modern art using bold blocks of primary colours and white, delineated with black lines. My card is a super-simple card in this style; my fellow PP designer, Hannelie Bester, has also made a card with a Mondrian influence this week that is much more intricate and detailed and if you're a fan of this style of art you should definitely check it out.

Suite Words of Success - This message of success comes from the 'Suite Sayings' sentiment set. I've not used this set in a while, but I've used it many times earlier this year and it's one I was so pleased to see carried over from the Spring-Summer seasonal catalogue into the annual. This modern font was the perfect fit for my card today.

Perpetual Stars - Rather than leave my sentiment just black on white, I did break with my colour blocking slightly to add a burst of bright yellow stars to add to the celebratory feel. I used the star stamp from the Perpetual Calendar stamp set for this - such a useful set with lots of small stamps that are perfect for small details.

I know lots of students expecting GCSE exam results this year, so I thought this would make a great exam success card. Maybe one that would work for a boy too - not too 'pretty'!

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Linda Callahan
Hannelie Bester
Colleen Begley

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing what you create with our colours this week.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
14/08/2016 15:44:43 #

I love the big blocks of color!  Fun card!

Colleen Begley
Colleen BegleyUnited States
14/08/2016 16:36:36 #

Simple yet bold and gorgeous. Great use of this week's colors. It's a great card!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
14/08/2016 17:17:06 #

Great modern card Joanne! I love the bold blocks of color..what a perfect idea for the challenge. The font on the sentiment looks so good with your design,too!

sandym
sandymUnited States
15/08/2016 18:26:26 #

Joanne what great color blocking, and I enjoyed how you were inspired by the artist!

17/08/2016 01:08:46 #

Joanne, this is so FUN!  I love the way your created this amazing graphic card!  It just makes me smile!  You certainly made my colors shine!!!!

Hannelie Bester
Hannelie BesterU.A.E.
17/08/2016 13:23:05 #

Yep... great minds do think alike Joanne!
LOVE your take on the colors!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
17/08/2016 20:18:49 #

So lovely Joanne! I agree with you about Mondrian as that was my first thought too when doing my DT card. You have executed it wonderfully: simple, clean, bright and balanced. Super sentiment too. Thanks so much for joining us at AYSI - and for persevering with our technical difficulties.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
17/08/2016 21:55:38 #

So glad you've got it all sorted Jan - truly, I feel for you!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
19/08/2016 21:07:41 #

Mondrian would be so proud.  It reminds me of the Mary Quant Mondrian dress.   Boy did I NEED that dress.   Love your card and thanks for taking me back down memory lane
hugs
jaydee

Designers Series Paper Sale - Buy 3 Get 1 Free

Designer Series Paper is on sale between 1-31 October: buy 3, get 1 free on selected packs. Find out more here.

Earn this fabulous festive stamp set for FREE when you host a party with qualifying sales between 1 September and 31 October. Find out more here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2017 Autumn-Winter Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 1 September 2017 - 2 January 2018.

Current October hostess code:

769FVWR4

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.