Retro Hoop La La Mini Embroidery Hoop Clean and Simple Card PP381

by Joanne James18. February 2018 09:00

It's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's my fabulous friend LeAnne's turn to host this week and she has a clean and simple challenge for you to work with:

This week's challenge was indeed 'sew' much fun and I have not one but two super clean-and-simple cards to share with you this week! This is also something of a 'something old, something new' post for me and perfect for the current challenge over at As You See It where they are asking us to remember the first tool or stamp set we bought or the one that made us fall in love with stamping, so I have a story for you today! First things first though - here is card number one:

Take A Hoop - I've been wanting to use these cute little mini embroidery hoops in the seasonal catalogue and today gave me the perfect opportunity. Perfect for framing miniature works of art, they are just like the real thing.

Cross Stitch With Hoop La La - The stamp set I've used today is an old set called 'Hoop La La'. It isn't the first stamp set I ever bought (that was called 'Sweetheart' I think and you could make treat cup cards with it - I still have it somewhere but couldn't find it anywhere when I looked this week!) but this was one of the first. I chose it because it combined two of my favourite hobbies: my love of cross stitch and my new passion for card making - I just had to have it and haven't been able to part with it since. On this card I used the house, coloured with my Stampin' Write markers in Pool Party and Bermuda Bay and added a red enamel heart. Another 'new home' card - I seem to be needing a lot of these lately! The stamp set includes a stamp of an embroidery hoop, but I love the dimension that the little wooden hoops give to the card.

Get Stitching - To continue the stitching theme, I used my stitched circle framelits to cut out my circle to sit inside the hoop (I popped it up on dimensionals). I also added a diecut needle from last season's Quilt Builder Framelits and threaded it with some Pool Party baker's twine. I also added a twine bow to the top of my hoop for decoration.

Here's the second of my cards, this time using the smaller size embroidery hoop and adhering my stitched circle to the top of the frame for an alternative mount:

This one shows up a little better with the darker purple colour against the white - here is a close up of the hoop so that you can see the alternative mount on the smaller embroidery hoop:

I like this mix of old and new so much I think I'm going to have to get another pack of hoops and make up some more of these cards!

Here is the visual summaries of the key products used on today's project for you to pin for easy reference:

The Paper Players Design Team
Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:
1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Don't forget the theme is clean and simple this week - so minimal layers and embellishments and lots of white space. I can't wait to see what you create and look forward to visiting your blogs this week! Enjoy the rest of your weekend as it will be over all too quickly. I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Colleen Begley
Colleen BegleyUnited States
18/02/2018 16:45:46 #

I love these, Joanne! Very creative and so cute. I just ordered these tiny hoops and this is such a great idea. You may see a CASE when I'm back to stamping in a few weeks.

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
18/02/2018 16:59:55 #

I'm smitten with these sweet little cards Joanne.  Darling proportions and the little details add interest while still keeping it CAS.  You are the master of this style!  What a perfect way to combine your love of cross stitch and stamping--love hearing the story.  xoxo

18/02/2018 17:49:15 #

Joanne, what fabulous CAS cards!  I used to cross stitch all the time and these little hoops with the cross stitching made me smile!  Your card is so creative and I love the wonderful memory you shared!  I hope you have a lovely week, My Friend!  XX

Annie A.
Annie A.United States
18/02/2018 19:32:33 #

Both cards are absolutely wonderful!  I love the little hoops and those needles look sew real!  Hoping you have a great week ~ Hugs, Annie

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
19/02/2018 18:35:58 #

You’re right! They do look like the real thing! Loved your story as I too like needlework. Your card reminded me of a set of cross stitch Christmas decorations I made many years ago for the tree. Lovely CAS Creation for LeAnne’s challenge and thank you for joining us at As You See It this week.

Heather Cooper
Heather CooperCanada
19/02/2018 22:21:30 #

How perfect that one of your first stamp sets worked for the sewing challenge as well! I love those CAS images within the mini embroidery hoops! And the needles really do look real! Thanks for joining us at As You See It Challenge!

20/02/2018 14:21:05 #

Be still, my heart!  You managed to combine stamping and another of my favorites...CROSS STITCHING!  These are the sweetest cards ever!!!  I love those little embroidery can you not love those little miniatures?!  Everything about your cards are perfectly CAS and yet just delightful!  AND I love your story about your first stamp set....who knew on what journey those stamps would lead us, right?!  Thanks for rocking my challenge AND playing with AYSI too!

LaurieUnited States
20/02/2018 23:15:33 #

Wow..this is SO awesome! and VERY the cross stitch. Have a great day!

Jane Knudsen
Jane KnudsenUnited States
21/02/2018 02:44:07 #

These cards are fantastic!  I love anything cross stitch related and then you add in my love of stamping - boom - you have a winner!  Beautifully done!  Thanks for playing along with us at AYSI!!

jaydeeUnited States
23/02/2018 15:14:00 #

Joanne, these cards are fabulous and perfect for the challenge and I love those little hoops with the cross stitching.  Awesome cards!

sandymUnited States
23/02/2018 21:29:39 #

Joanne your cards are adorable! I love the little embroidery hoops, and how awesome you had just the right image to fit inside!

Julie Gearinger
Julie GearingerUnited States
24/02/2018 03:38:51 #

Oh Joanne, I love both of your cards featuring the new mini hoops with the older stamp set! Great job on the challenges and congratulations on being chosen the Top Pick at As You See It Smile  Well deserved- hugs and I hope you have a blessed spring!!

sharon wheet
sharon wheetUnited States
26/02/2018 16:42:43 #

congrats on your win @ As You See It challenge.  and what a wonderful card!  I just love the
home-y-ness of it!  bravo!  Smile

Sale-A-Bration 2018

Sale A Bration

The Sale-A-Bration Promotion runs from 3 January-31 March 2018. Download your copy of the brochure here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2018 Spring-Summer Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 3 January - 31 May 2018.

Current March hostess code:

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose. Join during Sale-A-Bration before 31 March and you can choose 2 additional stamp sets of your choice too FOR FREE - that's a potential additional £90 worth of product!

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.